Make the Spinach, Feta & Sambal Hijau Parcels Kate made with the help of Ben at Parva Spices.
Makes 2 large pasties or 4 smaller pasties
- A knob of butter
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 300g spinach
- 2 eggs
- 20g pine nuts
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sambal hijau
- A sheet of puff pastry cut into 12cm x 12cm squares
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the nutmeg.
- Wash the spinach in water and then add to the saucepan. Steam for 3 – 4 minutes until wilted. Allow to cool and then use a rolling pin to squeeze out the excess water – keep going until you get every last drop out, nobody likes a soggy bottom! Once done finely chop the spinach.
- In a medium sized bowl beat one of the eggs lightly.
- Stir in the spinach and then crumble in the feta.
- Add one or two tablespoons of sambal hijau (to taste), season with salt and pepper and give it all one final stir to combine well.
- Divide the filling between the pastry squares and brush along the edges with the remaining egg (which you’ve also beaten in a small bowl). Fold the squares on the diagonal to enclose the filling in a triangle. Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Put the parcels on the baking trays and brush lightly with the remaining egg. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Allow to cool for a couple of minutes on a wire rack. Can be eaten hot or cold.
Find out more about Parva Spices
Order a copy of Home Cooked
Back to Escape to the Farm