Make Kate’s lemon drizzle cake as featured in Escape to the Farm.
- 250g soft butter
- 320g runny honey
- 5 eggs – chicken eggs are fine if you don’t have duck eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 375g self raising flour
- Half tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Zest and juice of 5 large lemons
- Pinch of salt
- 25g chopped pistachio nuts (optional)
450g cake tin well lined
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees, or 150 for fan ovens.
- Beat butter, 60g of sugar, lemon zest and 250g honey well, to help extract lemon oil.
- Sieve flour baking powder and bicarb to mix evenly.
- Then add the eggs and some of the flour to butter mixture, fold in remainder of flour and a pinch of salt.
- Put into prepared cake tin and bake for 15 minutes then lower temperature to 150 for 25-30 minutes – depending on your oven and when the skewer comes out clean!
- Add 70g honey to 75ml lemon juice and warm slightly (using cold lemon juice may make the cake sink), prick the cake with fork or skewer and pour lemon juice over the top
- Sprinkle with 25g of caster sugar.
- Leave in the tin to cool.
It is important to lower the temperature as honey caramelizes at a lower temperature than sugar, the cake will be golden on the outside anyway but you don’t want it too brown!
This cake does freeze well if given a chance.
Recipe credit: PJ’s Catering
Back to Escape to the Farm